You know that popular expression “variety is the spice of life”? Well it’s true, especially when it comes to dogs! If you check your pet calendar, you will discover that December 2nd is National Mutt Day! These blended pooches are living proof that variety is the spice of life.
National Mutt Day was created in 2005 by Colleen Paige, celebrity pet and family lifestyle expert and animal welfare advocate. If that name sounds familiar, it’s because Paige is also the founder of National Dog, Cat and Puppy day! This special day was created to raise awareness of the plight of mixed dogs in shelters around the country. Arrow, a Corgi-Cocker Spaniel-Eskimo mix
It doesn’t matter if they are a pure bred or mutt, pooches are man’s best friend and are devoted companions to their pet parents. In celebration of the holiday, Furlocity has put together some reasons why mutt’s rule and to spotlight the importance to embrace, adopt and rejoice in mixed breed dogs.
1. Unique - Mixed breed dogs are special in the own right because they genuinely unique down to their genes! He or she might have the tail of a Tibetan Spaniel and the face of a Pomeranian. Winning combinations such as this makes every mutt irreplaceable.
2. Healthy - This second part goes back to topic of genes. When it comes to purebred pooches, they tend to have more health issues that result from having a small gene pool and generations of inbreeding. A mutt that comes from several different breeds decreases a dog’s risk of inheriting diseases or ailments.
3. More affordable - No monetary value should ever be placed on a life; however when it comes to pets, purebred animals usually cost more. Mutts are more affordable and prices range from free to the low hundreds depending on the shelter. And connecting back to the health factors, mutts don’t contract as many hereditary diseases, which ultimately limit the money spent at the veterinarian.
4. If you're picky, you’re in luck - Do you find it hard when it comes time to pick just one thing when you have many options? Or, how about you have a family and everyone likes different things. Mutts are the ’best of all worlds’ when it comes to situations like this. If you want a dog that’s big, friendly, sheds very little and is very active? There’s surely a mutt out there for you!
5. Your pup can be a star - Thanks to the AKC, “All American Dogs” can participate in performance events and sports. No longer reserved for just purebreds, your favorite mutt can join in on the action.
To quote the ASPCA, “If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!
Have a hot topic related to your paw-rific pet boarding business that you would like Furlocity to potentially BARK about in future articles? Let Furlocity know! Contact Denise Fernandez Pallozzi directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.