What can we say about cats?!
Cats were worshiped by ancient Egyptians. The classic comic strip, Garfield, with its famous lasagna eating cat, has been published since 1978 and held the Guinness World Record for being the world's most widely syndicated comic strip. And Grumpy Cat is an internet celebrity, whose Facebook page has over 8 million "likes”, was featured on the front page of The Wall Street Journal, on the cover of New York magazine and will soon get her own animatronic waxwork at Madame Tussauds in San Francisco.
Furlocity wants to help cat fans celebrate National Cat Day which was founded by animal welfare advocate, Colleen Paige, and was first celebrated on October 29, 2005. According NationalCatDay.com, it was started "to help the public to recognize the number of cats that need to be rescued each year and to encourage cat lovers to celebrate the cat(s) in their life for the unconditional love and companionship they bestow upon us."
According to the 2015-2016 American Pet Products Association (APPA) National Pet Owners Survey, there are 42.9 million U.S. households that own a cat; totaling 85.8 million cats. That is a lot of purr-fect companions!!
Here are a few reasons why cats make paw-some, fur-ever feline friends!
Snuggle Buds - Cats love to curl up, snuggle with their pet parents and purr in happy contentment. Cats sleep on average 15 hours day, so they make purr-fect “chill partners”.
Independent and Confident – Cat are often satisfied to hang by themselves and are quite sure of their own fluffy adorableness.
Beautiful Self-Grooming Pets - Did you know that cats spend one-third of their waking hours grooming themselves? Cats don’t need to visit the groomers, which is ideal if you don’t want to spend a lot of time or money keeping them gorgeous.
Security – Cats are natural hunters and predators. Have you even seen your cat chase a mouse in the garden or maybe in your garage? They will even find that pesky moth that found itself on the inside of the screen door during the summer months!
Purr Entertainment** - Furry felines love to have fun and chase toys (again, this goes back to their hunting instinct) and can provide some great laughs when they jump impressive heights when playing.
To fully honor the holiday, we created a list of nine fun activities to do with your furry feline to say thank you for all the affection they give you!
1. Give your cat a brushing.* They love to rub their faces on the side of the bush and it will help reduce excess fur and hairballs.
2. Give your cat a calming massage.
3. Volunteer at your local shelter and play with some cats available for adoption, clean cages and litter boxes or anything else they need help with. If you have a busy schedule, donate money in your cat’s name to the shelter.
4. Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot.
5. Paint your face, wear kitty ears or dress in cat related fashion.
6. Buy your cat a fashionable collar and tag with your name and phone number, just in case they get outside and happen to become lost.
7. Buy them a fun mechanical mouse or a long wand with a feather to get their ‘pounce on’ to help expend their ‘miniature lion’ energy.
8. Post a photo of your cat on your social media pages – and tell all your friends how much you love your kitty!
9. Watch your favorite movie that has a cat in it!
Have a hot topic related to your paw-rific pet boarding business that you would like Furlocity to potentially MEOW about in future articles? Let Furlocity know! Contact Denise Fernandez Pallozzi directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.